Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Words

In April, I posted a blog about watching our words. When I wrote it, I wondered if I was the only pastor who was fed up hearing the "young, cool" pastors of the megachurches around our country using foul language from the pulpit.

Today I read Ed Young's blog that documented his thoughts on foul language. You can see the video blog here:

http://www.edyoungblog.com/

It's comforting to know that I'm not alone in my feelings about this issue. Reading the comments posted to his blog entry further confirm my impression that the words themselves are not definitively classified as "acceptable" or "foul". A word that was considered "foul" when I was young is now deemed acceptable language in today's society.

Maybe here's the guideline... If it's even questionable, just don't say it... Take the time to increase your vocabulary so that you can use a word that demonstrates your mastery of the English language as well as your sensitivity to the Holy Spirit.

1 comment:

Chris Naish said...

Amen, GW! I watched that same Ed Young video blog that day, and I agree 100% - just *don't* say that stuff! Get creative and use different words in lieu of what the world teaches us is ok. I used to "cuss like a sailor" for years and years, and I'm grateful that God lifted that horrible curse from me (just ask Angie sometime, you probably wouldn't think it knowing me now, but I used to be *really* bad with my language!).

It's ok to disagree with the world! :-D