Monday, June 29, 2009

Conditional God

The Jacob made a vow, saying, "If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear, so that I return safely to my father's house, then the Lord will be my God and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God's house, and of all that you give me I will give a tenth." Genesis 28:20-22 NIV

In this vow, Jacob is clearly making his promise of worship conditional on the receipt of blessings from God. I wonder how many times we do this to God.

"Okay, Lord, if you give me this job/promotion, then I'll give you a tenth of all that you give me."

"Lord, if you give me this relationship, then I'll share the Gospel with this person."

"God, if you make this problem go away, I'll worship you above everything else."

Regardless of the material blessings we can see in our lives, God is still God and is on the throne. He loves us in spite of who we are and how we act. Our worship of who He is shouldn't be conditional on what we can see or touch or what we think He should do for us.

No comments: