Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Respond

We love because he first loved us. 1 John 4:19 NIV

In the last several months, this verse continues to pop up in conversation or study at least once a week. This morning in my quiet time, it came up again - this time in the context of response.

In science, we learn about response. For every stimulus, we offer a response. In physics, we learn that Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

In Christianity, response is also important. John's statement about why we love indicates that a response is necessary in our lives. Our lives, in fact, should be a response to the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. In other words, our faith should always be an outward manifestation of what God has already done on the inside of our lives.

What's my response through my willingness to forgive?

What's my response through my willingness to be generous with my time, energy and money?

What's my response through the amount of time I spend alone with God every morning?

God is looking for us to respond in every area of our life. As the day goes on today, consider your response to each and every situation. Hold your response to the light of Jesus and allow God to shape and mold the way you respond to people and situations in your life.

No comments: