Monday, February 16, 2009

Switcherooni

God pulled the ole' "switcherooni" on me this weekend. I had planned on finishing up our discussion of the Parable of the Sower on Sunday morning. I studied, wrote my sermon and got all of the administrative things done (eg, outline, powerpoint) before taking Carrie out to dinner for Valentine's Day. While we ate dinner, our discussion was led (as it normally does) to COAHC and what God is doing in our Body. As our discussion progressed, the Lord gave us both a sense that He wanted to do something different on Sunday morning than what we had planned.

The Lord gave Carrie and I both the same Word as we talked about Moses' struggles with walking in obedience to God's calling. It was obvious God was impressing His will upon both of our hearts to minister to our family at COAHC. So, Sunday's sermon was not on the Parable of the Sower, but instead on stepping out in faith in our lives and stopping the excuses that we so often give.

In these kinds of circumstances, I don't pretend to know all the details of why God leads us to change our plans. It's my responsibility to simply hear Him and follow. I leave the impact up to the work of the Holy Spirit. I know the Spirit moved in the hearts of our people though as I watched the facial expressions and body language of everyone. We had a sweet time at the alter afterward as well when some came forward for prayer.

I'm so glad I'm a servant of the God who loves His people as much as He does. He cares for us so much that He'll interrupt a pastor's plans for preaching to give His children the spiritual nourishment we need when we need it.

Interrupt me anytime, Lord. Change my plans whenever You'd like, Most Holy God. I am Your servant and instrument to be used however You see fit.

No comments: