Tuesday, August 26, 2008

God's Voice

Last week, I wrote about taking the time to listen for God's voice. Our heavenly Father desires to communicate with His children. His Word communicates to us in wonderful ways - giving us instruction to live our lives, encouragement in the midst of trials and knowledge of the character of our Lord.

As a Father, God desires to communicate with us on a regular basis as well - what kind of father wouldn't? There are often specific circumstances for which we need specific wisdom and discernment. If we ask and listen, God is ready and willing to respond.

Often people look in amazement when I tell them that we came to Culpeper because God called us. There's often that look that says with unspoken words, "No really. Why did you come here?" I think there are too many people who are going through life not hearing God's voice on a regular basis. What a shame!

I liken God's voice to something similar to a GPS in my car. My GPS has an audible voice that tells me where to go and when to turn. But if I have the radio too loud or I'm talking to someone on my cell phone, it's difficult to hear my GPS. I have experienced all too often the frustration of missing a turn and having to go another block or mile only to take a U-turn to get back on track.

The same is true in our lives with God. If we're not paying attention or if we're distracted by life going on around us, we may not hear God's voice clearly.

I agree it's rare that anyone hears the audible voice of the Lord, but if we listen closely, we can hear His "voice" in our heart and mind through our thoughts and desires. For me, I know God is speaking when a thought or desire comes to mind that I know doesn't belong to me. For example, I wouldn't have thought of Culpeper in a million years! I know moving from Southern California was the last thing I wanted to do. That was how I initially knew God's voice was speaking into my life about coming to Culpeper to plant City On A Hill Church.

So... What's God saying to you lately?

No comments: