Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Caterpillars and Boxes

One of my three daughters, Emma, found a caterpillar in the road last week and decided she'd bring it inside to save it. Mommy made a box with holes in the top. Some twigs and leaves were placed inside the box with careful consideration for interior decoration and meal planning. The caterpillar, it was decided by Emma, was female and was named Cutie Pie.

It's always funny to watch young children with animals - especially small, fragile animals. There seems to be this perception with kids that all living things are invincible. I wonder why that is.

It seemed every time I walked into the kitchen, one of the girls was handling the caterpillar. Every once in a while, we would hear, "Oops. I dropped it. Sorry Cutie Pie." When Cutie Pie was in her box, she always seemed to crawl in this one corner and hide. I wonder why.

On Sunday morning, I noticed the box on the kitchen counter with Cutie Pie in it. Cutie Pie didn't look so good. She seemed to be much shorter in length and wasn't moving. I asked what happened to Cutie Pie and Mommy responded, "She's turning into a butterfly. We need to put her outside so she can have her freedom." Ohhhh... Okay.... And the girls keep asking for puppies and kittens. Maybe in a couple of years.

No comments: